Thursday, October 2, 2008

FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer?




Alright, cough it up, who plays what? Which game do you spend countless hours of your life playing?

I, myself, use to be an avid PES (Winning Eleven) fan, playing the game like if it were part of my tradition, but last year's version of the game, dissapointed me tremendously. Things just didn't add up. The graphics were improved, but still looked PS2-ish, the gameplay had more holes than swiss cheese, and it just wasn't the same video game I had fallen in love with years before.

I gave into the dark side and gave FIFA a shot. I was Anakin Skywalker, as I betrayed my PES days to jump on FIFA's bandwagon. I surprisingly was blown away by how FIFA had improved their gameplay. A lot of the game did resemble PES, such as the double teams, crossing system, fake shots etc, but it also added a little of its' own spice. The numerous tricks and flicks you could perform were fun to mess with, and the graphics really did look like a next-generation video game.

I let my PES gather dust while I played FIFA as much as possible. Although I didn't have much fun playing multiplayer matches - the exceptions being my brother and online - I figured this year I'd just go with FIFA. But, like an old ex-girlfriend who you just can't get enough of, PES appears to be back on track, at least according to the gossip being shared on forums, and blogs all over the world.

PES has agreed to a four year deal to have the official licensing of UEFA's Champions League and has also corrected the so many wrongs that hurt its reputation last year. The gameplay is also as good as its ever been, according to some video gaming websites. I'm still tempted to pass, but then I picture the old days, memories of me having tournaments with friends at my house where the grand prize was a whopping $30 ($3-5 a person. Hey, we were jobless teenagers!) and it gives me goosebumps. If PES has been able to sprinkle some of its magic fairy dust that was misplaced last year and can return to that, then I'll be one happy customer.

FIFA, however, have not sat back either. The guys over at EA Canada have continued to build on the solid game play of FIFA 08, and have fixed the kinks one would encounter when playing the game. The goalkeepers react smarter, the gameplay is smoother, it is more difficult to score and FIFA has incorporated "tactics" which could make the game un-droppable (err, is that a word?). It has also added "250 improvements". The reason I put quotation marks around that, is because I highly doubt we'll notice anything close to 250, and that FIFA is just self-promoting itself more than Paris Hilton does. Regardless, it appears that FIFA could turn out to be the better product this year.

I've played the demos for both, and have been rather impressed with each, so I've decided to give each one a try. With FIFA hitting the stores in 2 weeks, and PES trying to get its North American customers back in its good graces by releasing the game in early November, (as opposed to February-March) it looks to be one interesting year.

Ah, it's good to be a video-gaming footy fan!


Which game do you plan on buying? Both? Any specific things you're really looking forward to? Ps3 or Xbox 360? Anything you'd wish these games would incorporate into their series? Share below.

No comments: