Thursday, November 20, 2008

Donovan loaned to Bayern Munich




Landon Donovan will give Germany another go around.

Donovan, who has been training with Bayern Munich for the past week, has landed a loan deal similar to that of David Beckham's with AC Milan. According to the German club's website, the loan will start on January 1 and run through the middle of March, once MLS kicks off its 2009 season.

However, unlike Beckham's loan, if Donovan impresses, he can be outright bought by the German giants. If that happens you could expect Donovan, 26, to stay until the remainder of the season, if not longer.

"The goal will be to see if we can get him long term, at least until the end of the season," said head coach Juergen Klinsmann to the club's site.

This move will mark Donovan's third stint with a German club, as he had two unsuccesful attempts with Bayer Leverkusen in 2001 and 2004. Will it be third time's a charm, or will it be three strikes and out for the American? Donovan's confident it will be the former.

"As a person and a player, I am completely different now to how I was then, I have matured. I am ready. I believe I can keep up with all the other players, even if I am not the best player here."

No comments: