Sunday, October 26, 2008

Donovan Done in MLS?




Has Landon Donovan played his final match in MLS? Maybe not, but today's 2-2 draw against FC Dallas will probably be Donovan's last game in Major League Soccer for quite some time. Donovan has made it abundantly clear that he wants to make the move to Europe during this winter's transfer window.

Departing from the Galaxy means that the 26-year-old believes he has accomplished all he could in MLS and that he needs to make a move to Europe while he enters the prime years of his career to become the best player possible. A move to the Premiership or to Spain's La Liga seem to fit him best, but don't count out another attempt at playing in Germany as Bayern Munich have shown interest in the Galaxy star since this past summer.

"'I'm ready and I wasn't ready before in any way or capacity," said the all-time leading goal scorer for the U.S. about his previously troubled European stints, "I'm ready and I want to make the most of that. I've only got one career and I want to make sure that I give myself a chance.''

All of his critics will now be keeping a watchful eye on him to see if he will be as unsuccessful as he was with Bayer Leverkusen before signing with Los Angeles in 2005. But the Galaxy forward is ready to prove his critics wrong.

''Competitively I have that itch and I want to go and I will make that very clear to people,"

The 2008 MLS Golden Boot winner sounds hungrier than ever to push himself to the limit.


What do you think of Donovan giving Europe another shot? Should he just stay in MLS? What league/team do you think would fit him best? Share your comments below.

No comments: