Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ronaldo Returning to Brazil




Ronaldo, the Brazilian legend that shined as one of the best players in his generation, has called it quits in terms of European football and expects to return to his native homeland to play for Flamengo as he finishes the final stages of recovery from his latest injury.

"I've been in Europe for 16 years. Flamengo are my favourite," said the three-time FIFA World Player of the Year "But I don't want to play there as a favour. I want to deserve to play there.''

Ronaldo, who has been training and rehabbing with Flamengo since becoming a free agent, also stated that he is considering retirement if he cannot return to top playing shape.

He added: "If I think I am not fine, I will retire. It's useless if you are physically fit but you are not fast. I already lost some weight but I must lose more.''

Rumors have been swirling on whether or not an MLS side could possibly offer the all-time leading World Cup goal scorer a contract, but it appears that Ronaldo will stay put in Brazil, where he will stay close enough to home to perhaps warrant a national team call-up.

''I am a wounded soldier who is recovering, but not dead. The national team is part of my life. I have big history with it, with a number of titles and defeats. I am making a big sacrifice and I do dream of the national team.''

The clock is working against Ronaldo, so for him to give it one more go he's going to have to make a full recovery, and do so expeditiously.


Do you think Ronaldo is finished? Do you ever see him playing for the National Team again? Think an MLS side should attempt to snatch up his services before Flamengo makes him one of their own? Share your comments below.

No comments: