Monday, October 27, 2008

Ronaldo Wins FifPro Award




Breaking News: Cristiano Ronaldo is the best footballer on the face of the planet. Well at least if you consider winning the FifPro Award to give a player that distinct honor. Ronaldo was given the award after a year that saw him win the double with Manchester United, and also saw him lead the Premiership in goals scored.

"I would like to thank my teammates and coaches and everyone involved at Man United and the national team, as well as my family and friends for their support," Ronaldo said. "Thank you also to FIFPro for this award and for your work in protecting the interests and welfare of players around the world."

Ronaldo's 42 goals in the English Premier League will most likely see him win the Ballon D'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year award as this year comes to a close, but that isn't too shocking. However, the Portugal winger did make one surprising comment.

''I insist that I am a Manchester United player and now I think that next year I will continue here,''

After a summer full of turmoil between Ronaldo and Manchester United, the 2007-2008 Golden Boot winner appears to have Deja Vu as he has completely forgotten of his fierce desire to play for Real Madrid.

''But what happened in the summer is finished. Now my head is on the club. My focus is solely on playing well for Manchester United and winning the Premier League and Champions League again.''

Something tells me the former Pro Evolution Soccer cover boy is not being entirely honest, but regardless, if Ronaldo can manage to duplicate last season's accomplishments, then he'd undoubtedly be considered for the FifPro award again next year. A big question remains however; would he receive the award as a Manchester United standout or a Real Madrid star? Only he knows what his mind is set on and for now he's satisfied being named the #1 footballer on the planet.

"'I am still young and if I am being honest, I did not think I would reach this level so quickly."


Happy Cristiano was awarded the FifPro award? Or should someone else have won it? Think he's telling the truth when he says that he'll be at Old Trafford next season or is he just trying to make up for his semi-tarnished image? Share your thoughts below.

No comments: