Thursday, October 30, 2008

MLS Playoff Predictions




With the MLS play-offs kicking off in just a mere four and a half hours, it's time for me to make my predictions on who will head to the MLS Cup Finals and who will be the initial team to boast the brand-new lustering MLS Cup in their trophy case.

(Note: This is just what I think based on match-ups, team play, individual players' form and circumstances.)

New England Revolution v Chicago Fire

New England would usually be the favorites, but with the injury bug biting them at the worst time of the year I see Brian McBride and the Fire stunning the Revolution and making it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Columbus Crew v Kansas City Wizards

Is there anyone outside of Kansas City who believes the Wizards can upset the forcible Crew? Didn't think so. Columbus has simply been outstanding this year on the way to MLS' best record
for 2008. With veteran and captain Frankie Hejduk, young stud Robbie Rogers, and the sensational Guillermo Barros Schelotto leading the charge, I don't see any manner in which the Wizards have a chance at advancing.

Houston Dynamo v New York Red Bulls

Call me crazy, but even with all the talent that Houston has at its disposal, I see Juan Carlos Osorio's men overcoming all the adversity they've faced in recent weeks and upsetting the reigning MLS Champions. I think former Colombian National Team standout Juan Pablo Angel is going to have himself quite the play-off series against the Dynamo.

Chivas USA v Real Salt Lake

Both teams are a pretty even match up with both sides scoring the same amount of goals (40) this season and this match-up could go either way especially if Clint Mathis can showcase his talents. However, there's one element in which I see pushing Chivas USA to the next round.

That element is Sacha Kljestan. While he's had himself a solid year with his club, Kljestan has also become a fixture with the United States National Team and has received invaluable big game experience from his matches in the Olympics and World Cup Qualifiers. I can see him being the x-factor against Real Salt Lake.

Eastern Conference Championship: Columbus Crew v Chicago Fire

What a match-up this would be, the top two seeds in the East fighting to represent in the MLS Cup Finals. Though I see the Fire coming close, I can't envision Columbus falling to Chicago. The Crew are simply too talented for any team in the East to match up against. I see central defender Chad Marshall shutting down Brian McBride and though Cuahtemoc Blanco is playing some inspired football, I don't think he'll be able to do it alone against a side with so much depth, they would make the Deep Ocean jealous.

Western Conference Championship: Chivas USA v New York Red Bulls

Though I see the Red Bulls pulling off a massive upset over the Dynamo, I don't see lightning striking twice for the New York based squad. Juan Pablo Angel will be key, but I have a feeling that Chivas USA will give him fits thus rendering the Red Bulls' offense helpless. Expect Chivas in the finals.

2008 MLS Cup: Columbus Crew v Chivas USA

In a final that would surely be intriguing based on talent and style of play, I would expect nothing more than a good old fashioned scorefest with both teams scoring multiple goals. Both teams have enough fire power to make this match very entertaining and easy on the eyes.

But with that said, though I believe Chivas are destined to make a big run behind Sacha Kljestan's efforts, it just appears to be the Crew's year. I see Sigi Schmid's Columbus Crew coming out victorious and raising the 2008 MLS Cup when everything is all said and done.

(My Predicted) 2008 MLS Cup Winner: Columbus Crew


What do you think of my predictions? Where you do agree? Disagree? Who do you see winning it all? Share your thoughts below.

No comments: